Thursday, August 11, 2011

Have you ever had any issue with young students all the sudden not wanting to spar?

I have a 10 year old girl in one of my classes who today just had a meltdown about how she was scared to spar in a tournament today. It was just bizzare this girl has always loved sparring and has competed in high leval tournaments. She attends a weekly sparing class that is optional. We spar in almost every class. She does very well in class. There were 5 kids in her division- 3 of which were from our dojo who she has gone against multiple times in the dojo- she kept saying she knew how hard the boys hit and didn't know how hard the other boys would hit (we had to combine boys and girls for her division but all were around her size, age, and rank(beginner-intermediate). I offered to let her move up a division where it was all girls who the majority she had sparred with before but she refused there. She was so upset she was crying- which is rare for her and I was unable to understand really what her deal was. I am not angry with her I am just so confused because I was planning on working with her solo and see about qualifying for nationals next year because she had the enthusiasm and the talent. I had not mentioned this to either her parents or her yet. But I don't know quite what to do. She has not got injured in any dojo matches we do mixed gender sparing all the time- that is the way I prefer to do it. I guess my question is have you ever had a situation like this? How can I get her excited about sparing again? Last week she was kicking but in class and today she was saying she wouldn't spar because she did not want to fight 2 boys because she didn't know how hard they hit and thought her classmates would hit her too hard- which has never been an issue before... Just don't know what is going on...

No comments:

Post a Comment